Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mark Levin




I've been busy this morning so I'll let one of the big brained contribute: Mark Levin.

Why have I been busy? I had to fill out form I-9 on myself, attesting that I have inspected the passport of this employee, me, and that he (I) appear(s) to be a US citizen with proper documentation, and not some illegal Norwegian snuck into the country to take our (their) jobs.

I have to do this despite the fact that the form itself states: "This form is not filed with USCIS or any government agency." It's supposed to be retained by the employer; which is me in this case.

I'll take them the form, which I shouldn't have to take them, plus a copy of the web page that says that until April 3, 2009, this is the form to use, plus a photocopy of my passport. And I'll jump through all these hoops because it's easier than educating them that the law wants employers to fill out this form and file it for later inspection if needed.

Course, there's every possibility that the person who isn't supposed to be asking for this stuff will freeze when confronted with the facts. I may end up having to make a video showing myself putting this form into a filing cabinet, get documentation that the video doesn't appear to be altered in any way, and schedule a screening of the video for the concerned government worker and any necessary witnesses.

It's just over caution. In the government, you can get grief for doing something wrong, but you'll seldom get grief for not doing anything at all. The base I need to get onto found out that illegal aliens were cutting the grass last year. So someone is scared of letting any civilian on base.

So, do you see why putting the government in charge of health care might not be the greatest thing in the world? The bureaucrat who needs to approve your life saving drug might have been yelled at last month for wasting money... so go fish.

And, btw, my headaches with incompetent people in government are minor. Combine flawed humans with a huge bureaucracy and you get good people unable to do their jobs, timid people getting in the way, and dedicated servants losing their jobs for the stupidest of reasons.

Yeah, let's have more of that.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg