Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Fast/Feast


So here it is, the holidays coming up and I've only just finished
taking off the weight I gained from last Thanksgiving/Christmas.
Though, my excuse is being a new Catholic, I got mixed up on the
feast-fast thing and spent something like 40 days stuffing myself
last Easter. OK, so I'll get it right next time.

Guess I'll do a turkey again this year, though I'm still not ready to
try deep-frying one. You hear these horror stories, you know? And
besides that, just the thought of 5 gallons of oil being brought up
to face melting temperatures makes me feel wimpish. Makes a guy
want to google "skin grafts" first. Yeah, maybe next year.

What else? oh, we sent the kid to school with the canned vegetables
for the Thanksgiving Food Drive. The usual stuff. Can't believe the
kid repeated the "well, I'm pretty sure poor people like okra" line to
her science teacher though. Me, I can't understand how it is we end
up with several cans of okra every year. It's not like anyone in this
house will eat the darned stuff. I can't think of anyone, rich or poor,
who would choose okra over anything else, even if they were gnaw-
off-your-own-arm starving. At least we've got food drives to help
get rid of the stuff. [and yes, *most* of what we donated was good stuff;
the okra was hidden at the bottom of the bag, sort of an after thought/
possible door stop]

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg