Monday, July 27, 2009

I Apologize



I think most people realize that Obama's "apology" wasn't really an apology. He might be right about this being a teachable moment, but I'm not sure he realizes that it's the Harvard professor who needs the education. Via Newsbusters, Brit Hume nails the apology thing:

BRIT HUME: Well, I think Robert Gibbs didn't add a lot, probably trying not to add a lot on this -- on this issue, but, you know, what's striking about this is the president was clearly trying to get this over with, put the firestorm out, and yet, in the end, he couldn't bring himself to actually apologize for himself.

This president who travels the world apologizing for his country couldn't quite apologize for himself. He spoke of not calibrating his words perfectly. He suggested he didn't mean to malign the -- the police officer in question or the Cambridge police department. But he said they acted "stupidly." If you say something like that, you obviously malign them.

So, in the end, this controversy may be nearing an end, but if he had made an outright apology and said he never should have waded into it in the first place, and it wasn't -- shouldn't have been a question of calibrating words; he shouldn't have said any words -- if he'd said that, it would be over. Yet here we are, talking about it still. I don't think he got the -- the job done.

Obama's apologies on behalf of the United States have always been apologies on behalf of those (mostly) dead white European types; he's never apologized for Obama's America. That kind of talk doesn't really move us forward, does it?

Here's hoping that when President Palin gives her first speeches as president on foreign soil, she'll be able to resist the temptation to bash the Obama administration. (even though there might be much to apologize for)
***
From one of the greatest movies ever made, A Thousand Clowns:

SANDRA MARKOWITZ: So, Murray, which job did you get?

MURRAY BURNS: . . . Now, picture if you will: I am walking on East 51st Street about an hour ago, practicing how to say "I am sorry" with a little style . . .

SANDRA: Sorry for what?

MURRAY: Oh, anything . . . just rehearsing . . . Uh, well [clears throat . . . You know how it is when you're walking down the street talking to yourself, how suddenly you say something out loud?

SANDRA: Uh huh . . .

MURRAY: So I said, "I'm sorry," and this fella walking by, a complete stranger, he looks up a second, and he says, "That's alright, Mac," and he goes right on! [laughs] He automatically forgave me! I communicated! Now, 5:00 rush hour in midtown you could say, "Sir, your hair is on fire," and they wouldn't even hear you. So -- I decided to test the whole thing scientifically. I just stood there on the corner of 51st and Lex saying "I'm sorry" to everybody that came by.

"I'm so sorry, Sir."

"I'm terribly sorry, Madam."

"Say there, Miss. I'm sorry."

Of course, I got a few funny looks, but I swear, Sandy, 75% of 'em forgave me! Something had happened to all of them for which they felt somebody should apologize. It was fabulous! I had tapped into some vast reservoir. I just said, "I'm sorry," and they were all so generous, so kind . . .

SANDRA: Murray . . .

MURRAY: Yeah, Sandy, I could run up on the roof right now, and holler, "I'm sorry!" and a half-million people would holler back, "That's okay, just see that you don't do it again!" [laughs]

SANDRA: Murray, you didn't take any of the jobs . . .

MURRAY: Uh, Sandy, uh, I, uh . . . I'm sorry. I'm very sorry.

SANDRA: [Silence]

MURRAY: Well, dammit, lady, that was a beautiful apology. I mean, you gotta love a guy who can apologize so nice. I rehearsed it for over an hour.

SANDRA: [More silence]

MURRAY: Aww, Sandy, that's the most you should expect from life -- a really good apology for all the things you won't get . . .


0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg