Friday, June 02, 2006

Pretentious Era?

Looking at the screen, I thought for sure I was going to need to repair the computer. Surely those pixels couldn't really be saying, "Couric Hopes to End 'Pretentious Era' in News." Then a cold thought, maybe this is how insanity begins. Maybe I've been hit on the head, or I'm still dreaming... No after a few clicks I find out it's just more proof we're living in Wonderland. NewsBusters confirmed:


This just in from Reuters, dateline Las Vegas: "Addressing the annual convention of CBS affiliates, [Katie] Couric predicted that the 'pretentious era' of the evening-news anchor is going to be a thing of the past." The headline, at least on the New York Times website, is "Couric Hopes to End 'Pretentious Era' in News."

........Didn't this woman just sit at the center of a wildly extravagant three-hour tribute to her greatness on Wednesday morning? And to get up the next day, and say this?

I suppose I should be used to this. Wasn't Dan Rather recently pontificating on ethics and accuracy in the news? Oh, and the Democrats, they're going after a "culture of corruption."
OK so false alarm. I just have to tweak my grain-of-salt threshold. Course the downside is that I won't be a bit surprised now when the headlines read, "Michael Moore Mocks Slobs," or "Hillary Calls for a Return to Sincerity."

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg