Wednesday, February 06, 2008

One Thing Leads to Another

In order to avoid going to work I started looking for Jesse Jackson images to photoshop. And that lead me to his speech on the anniversary of Gandhi's death, and that lead me to this little bit of Gandhi advice re the Holocaust:

He offered non-violence as a method of combating the difficulties Jews faced in Germany, stating,
If I were a Jew and were born in Germany and earned my livelihood there, I would claim Germany as my home even as the tallest Gentile German might, and challenge him to shoot me or cast me in the dungeon; I would refuse to be expelled or to submit to discriminating treatment. And for doing this I should not wait for the fellow Jews to join me in civil resistance, but would have confidence that in the end the rest were bound to follow my example. If one Jew or all the Jews were to accept the prescription here offered, he or they cannot be worse off than now. And suffering voluntarily undergone will bring them an inner strength and joy [...] the calculated violence of Hitler may even result in a general massacre of the Jews by way of his first answer to the declaration of such hostilities. But if the Jewish mind could be prepared for voluntary suffering, even the massacre I have imagined could be turned into a day of thanksgiving and joy that Jehovah had wrought deliverance of the race even at the hands of the tyrant. For to the God-fearing, death has no terror.
Sort of "the Huns think they have the upper hand but just watch as they slip on our blood! That will show them!"

Amazing.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg