Monday, November 16, 2009

BTW...



In case you're scratching your head about why AARP supports the current version of health care "reform": AARP was formed as a vehicle for selling insurance to it's members. Which is ok when you're using their membership for hotel or movie discounts. But it gets in the way of AARP looking out for its members' best interests regarding cuts in Medicare.

So their support isn't a mystery. And hardly a surprising from a company who would send you that insulting card waaaay before it's time to retire. No, nothing wrong with retirement per se, but I got my card in my prime: working away, picking them up and putting them down, gettin 'er done, soldiering on..... when this card comes, saying, "Do you need help carrying those to the car, sir?"

I come home from swinging a hammer, turning nuts and driving pins, circling an ailing machine through the smoke and sparks, and making the steel do what I want. And wearily I close up the tool box, put away the meters, check the mirror to see that the grease smudge sits at a jaunty angle high on my cheek... and come home to an AARP offer of a discount for old-man pants. ("cut to fit comfortably with the belt pulled up to armpit level; leaving your arms free to wave your cane threateningly when you stand on the front porch and yell at those damn kids to stay off your lawn.")

You were already on thin ice with me, AARP. Selling out your members is just the last straw in the ointment.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg