Friday, December 29, 2006

Who is Joseph Rago Anyway?

And who whizzed in his cornflakes?

The Blog Mob
"Written by fools to be read by imbeciles."

......Every conceivable belief is on the scene, but the collective prose, by and large, is homogeneous: A tone of careless informality prevails; posts oscillate between the uselessly brief and the uselessly logorrheic; complexity and complication are eschewed; the humor is cringe-making, with irony present only in its conspicuous absence; arguments are solipsistic; writers traffic more in pronouncement than persuasion . . .

"by and large, homogeneous"?
I think we can all agree this is false.
"careless informality prevails"?
I have to admit the term 'asshat' has always come across as a tad familiar. So, though I don't think I've ever used the term, in the interest of formality, I'm prepared to label Joe Rago: Mr. Asshat.
"uselessly brief"?
touché
"uselessly logorrheic"?
huh?
"irony present only in its conspicuous absence"?







.

6 comments:

Wry Mouth said...

'the uselessly logorrheic...'

Well, he got you there -- that was almost ideally ironic! How come you don't got none o' that irony stuff on your webby blog?

lumberjack said...

The empty space is where I didn't use irony to refute his charge of "a conspicuous absence of irony." The perfect refutation would have involved irony, but!, I knew that, therefore my non use of irony is, in itself ironic.

It was also the easiest thing to do. Which suited me as I was feeling fairly logorrheic anyway.

Anonymous said...

Irony???

lumberjack said...

Yeah, I fell asleep in English the day we covered irony, but I believe it has to do with working ferrous metals into the conversation. (as if it were possible to have a civilized conversation without ferrous metals coming up)

Anonymous said...

What would a good axe be without Irony?

lumberjack said...

Just a stick. Exactly.

fighting101s.jpg