Thursday, October 17, 2013

Scientific Literacy


Who didn't know this?:

A finding in a study on the relationship between science literacy and political ideology surprised the Yale professor behind it: Tea party members know more science than non-tea partiers...

...“I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension,” Kahan wrote.
“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the Tea Party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused internet sites like Huffington Post & Politico). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”
More literate. In fact, I bet that if you tested the science literacy of all liberals they'd find that almost half are less literate than the average.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's only true if you don't count deliberately false science like Anthropogenic Global Warming. Liberals are way ahead on that, theories for honey bee deaths, and assigning blame for things that cause cancer.

--Hale

3john2 said...

Liberals also have very poor math skills.

Anonymous said...

But if it wasn't for liberals I wouldn't know that fire can't melt steel, or that the government can secretly use chemicals sprayed in the exhaust of jet engines to control the weather (which should make you think there is a cause or cure for AGW).

OMMAG said...

I'm about 50% convinced....

lumberjack said...

Also, you'll find that if you test the science literacy of all conservatives, almost half are more literate than the average.

Veeshir said...

I'd like to see a study on ignorant people who are smugly sure of their own scientific superiority.

Global warmmongers would win that contest hands down.

fighting101s.jpg