Monday, November 20, 2006

Oh yeah, I Cook



I usually check the Food Network when I'm interested in finding new recipes. But every once in awhile I'll run across links to epicurious.com. (most recently from an interesting fennel-potato recipe mentioned on Sisu). And I like a lot of their recipes; many of them are very good. But every time I go there I get drawn in by the comments on each recipe. Nobody ever says, "Well, that was good," or, "I had to cut back on the salt." They all go into how they modified the recipe. I know everybody changes the recipes to suit their own style; I do that too. But the Epicurious readers seem to be trying to outdo one another.

"I sautéed the onions first, added allspice to the orange sauce, cracked an egg over the pineapple, and packed the turkey cavity with aquarium sand. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly."
That kind of thing. And I'm not criticizing, really, it's just that I end up reading every comment and wasting even more time than I normally do. Anyway, the reason I mention it.... An idea popped into my head, i.e.- to find a well commented upon recipe on Epicurious and modify it, adding to it, and taking away from it, until all that's left, if you follow the modifications, is a grilled cheese sandwich. Bet nobody notices.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg