Thursday, August 12, 2010

Those Slain Aid Workers


An early entry from the blog of Dr. Karen Woo, one of the ten aid workers killed by the Taliban:

So my Afghan honeymoon officially ended this morning; I was sat in the clinic when the bomb by the Heetal hotel went off. At first I thought something large and heavy had fallen over upstairs and not wanting to jump to conclusions I carried on typing up my notes. When I noticed that there was dust everywhere in the air and one of the nurses came round the corner saying we've got to go doc, I shifted gear and came face to face with the nastiest side of Afghanistan. A suicide bomber had driven a car loaded with explosives into the gates of a nearby compound and everyone was out on the rooftops of the villas, looking out, watching the smoke rising. About 5 minutes later and we were dealing with a casualty...

You can get an idea of who she was from her writing. It only makes the story sadder though.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg