Monday, March 12, 2012

RIP Peter Bergman



Peter Bergman, a founding member of the surrealist comedy troupe Firesign Theater, whose albums became cult favorites among college students in the late 1960s and ’70s for a brand of sly, multilayered satire so dense it seemed riddled with non sequiturs until the second, third or 30th listening, died on Friday in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 72.

Well that's a darned shame. I remember the Firesign Theater albums fondly. Half the fun was in trying to follow the storyline. My favorite skit from the period was about prairie dog fishing - "ya let um run with it for a few dozen yards then give a little tug. Blap! Turns um inside-out. Makes a heck of a mukluk." I couldn't find it on the interwebs but I remember it as the Firesign boys. (could be wrong, but that was their type of comedy and I've used the mukluk threat on every dog I've ever had)

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg