Monday, July 09, 2007

Where's the Royalties?


First let me ask: Is there anything so pleasing to the eyes as a black-eyed girl? Yeah, I agree.

So in case you haven't been following:

Los Angeles (E! Online) - According to some, Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" is far from The Best Damn Thing.

Songwriters Tommy Dunbar, of the band the Rubinoos, and James Gangwer sued the Canadian pop princess Monday for copyright infringement, claiming that her hit single closely resembles their 1979 tune "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend," because both feature that catchy, "Hey, hey, you, you" part.

"Hey, hey, you, you, I wanna be your boyfriend," goes the Rubinoos' track, while Lavigne, of course, opines, "Hey, hey, you, you, I don't like your girlfriend," among other "hey, hey, you, you" attention-getting devices, including "I want to be your girlfriend" and "I know that you like me."
What they don't say: The Rubinoos tune was a rip-off of my dad's original work. It was he who coined the phrase "Hey, Hey, You! You! Get off of my lawn!" many years before the Rubinoos tune came out.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg