Friday, August 25, 2006

What Did You Say?




I've long known this:

Farmers believe cows "moo" with an accent
LONDON (Reuters) - Cows have regional accents, a group of farmers claims, and phonetics experts say the idea is not as far-fetched as it sounds.

Lloyd Green, from southwest England, was one of a group of farmers who first noticed the phenomenon.

"I spend a lot of time with my Friesians and they definitely 'moo' with a Somerset drawl," he said, referring to the breed of dairy cow he owns.

"I've spoken to the other farmers in the West Country group and they have noticed a similar development in their own herds.

"I think it works the same as with dogs - the closer a farmer's bond is with his animals, the easier it is for them to pick up his accent."
I've met and spoken with English cows in the past and I've never been able to understand a word they've said. Best I could do is sprinkle the pauses in conversation with, "uh-huh"s, "mmmm"s, and "oh, really?"s.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg