Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blogging

C.W. Nevius blogs about the Pew survey about bloggers. Wait, maybe it's Nevius who surveyed the Pew blog. No? Well, whatever:

Alexander Halavais, may only be an assistant professor of interactive communications at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, but he knows how to deliver the money quote. Asked about bloggers by the Washington Post, Halavais came up with a beaut.

"The average blogger is a 14-year-old girl writing about her cat,'' Halavais said.

And though I distrust most anything that comes from the aptly named people at Pew, I understand that these results weren't damning. Nevius calls them "not just surprising, but hopeful." So I'll accept them. This time. Actually I'm pretty much happy with any study that doesn't condemn me by name.

From the numbers in Nevius's post I suppose that I'm just a little bit too old to be doing this. He also reports that most bloggers read newspapers. Ha! I pretend to cut down trees for a living; that's as close as I want to get to the newspaper biz. I feel a moral obligation to burn the damn things whenever they inadvertently make their way into the house. (the NYT and the WaPo anyway) Another number: some 61 percent told the survey that they blog to "motivate people to action.'' See, I part from the mainstream here too. I figure you know what you want to do next. I can motivate you somewhat if you like -- Hey! Those of you who want a bowl of ice cream: Get up! You keep putting it off, you know the wife will scoop out all the cookie-dough and leave you with plain vanilla. Get moving!

Feel free to bookmark this page so you can come back whenever you need additional motivation.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg