Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reparations Again


Oh good:

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."

Yes, because the Civil War was just a gesture; now it's time for action.

It's true that I look like the people who once owned other human beings. It was wrong. I denounce it. But I swear: I wasn't there, ok? None of my ancestors were involved either. They didn't get to this country until after it was over.

Did Obama's "typical white person" grandma descend from slave owners? I have no clue, but even if she did, I'm not tempted to transfer their debts to her. It's not possible to rectify a great injustice to one group of people by, centuries later, doing an injustice to a different group.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg