Friday, September 21, 2007

Looking for Justice



It's sobering to think that just 44 years after MLK's 'I have a dream' speech we still have these unprovoked attacks on young black athletes. Not all the facts are clear, but we do know that 6 black students were minding their own business when a white student jumped them and tried to break their hands and feet with his face. One of the victims tells his story: "I don't know what happened, all of the sudden I feel this sharp pain and realize that this guy is trying to break my knuckles with the back of his head. I was taken aback by the sudden injustice of it all but I had no time to feel sorry for myself because the kid was continuing his attack. On and on he came, attacking with his face and ribs. I tell you, I've never been so scared in my life.

"Luckily, my friend Mychal had survived two of these attacks in the last two years and he knew how to protect against the most serious knuckle scrapes. He said it could have been much worse if our attacker hadn't knocked himself out in the beginning of the fight. How he continued his assault on us, I'll never know.

"And now, as I try to make sense of my life in the wake of this vicious attack, I find that the white power structure is trying to say we did something wrong. It's the same old story in the South: blame the victim. So here we sit in jail with only minor celebrities supporting us. I mean, I cry out to God, "Who the hell is David Bowie? Where is Tim Robbins, dear God, where is Tim Robbins?"

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg