Thursday, November 15, 2007

Oddity



Here's something odd. I was working on a military installation and found this stone in some recently disturbed soil. Looks to be a headstone from a man who died, or was born in 1904, and who was married to a woman named Bertha. It looks to be a military type headstone because it is only an inch or so thick. Even searching with the county and/or city name, this isn't enough information to track down the grave.

Now beyond the question of whether or not I'm working on top of, or next to, a forgotten graveyard, I'd like to find the origin of this stone just to make it right for the deceased; who, you know, left this world thinking that the rest of us would have the common courtesy not to be parking trucks on their final remains.

So I've got two paths to try: One, to see if this installation has a chaplain, and ask him if he knows of any old graveyards on the grounds. Or two, dig around a little and see if I can find any other pieces of stone. The problem with that is that I might find parts of Bertha as well, and I'm not really up for that. Also, they make bombs at this installation and our government has been known to bury unused bombs when they're no longer needed. So it looks like I'll go the chaplain route. Maybe I can get him, or her, interested in solving this and get out of it completely.

It's a head scratcher though.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg