Saturday, August 15, 2009

OPG - Other People's Grandmas


Who would have thought -- the President's, typical white woman, grandma has become a prop for his government health care plan:

"I just lost my grandmother last year. I know what it's like to watch somebody you love, who's aging, deteriorate and have to struggle with that," an impassioned Obama told a crowd as he spoke of Madelyn Payne Dunham. He took issue with "the notion that somehow I ran for public office or members of Congress are in this so they can go around pulling the plug on grandma."

See how he does that? "I lost the woman who raised me, my loving grandma, you think I want government to pull the plug on grandmas?" But losing your grandma last year, you should know: Did you feel the need of a government sponsored adviser? Did your grandma's doctors refuse to answer your questions? Was there an information vacuum?

The, now dropped, end of life counseling program was supposed to save money. There was no way to even pay for itself if it didn't talk a fair number of old people into foregoing pacemakers in favor of the (not quite as effective) pain pill option.

Anyway Barrack, think back. Where were you when your grandma died? If I remember correctly, it was the end of the campaign and you couldn't come to her when she was dying. But if you were involved with the decisions in those last days, you know that the information was there, options were discussed, choices were made. The same way it happens all across this country when our parents and grandparents die. We make our terribly tough choices just fine without government advisers or the papers they coerced grandma into signing.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg