Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Apology Accepted?


Barack Obama:

“Harry Reid called me today and apologized for an unfortunate comment reported today,” Obama said. “I accepted Harry’s apology without question because I’ve known him for years, I’ve seen the passionate leadership he’s shown on issues of social justice and I know what’s in his heart. As far as I am concerned, the book is closed.”

And I have to wonder: what gives BO the book closing rights? If you listen to the quote, it's pretty obvious that Obama isn't the one being slighted:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as “light skinned” and “with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.”

Reid was saying that it's good to be light skinned and free from "Negro dialect". He wasn't insulting the President; he was insulting those he considers less good: dark skinned black men. Ask them for forgiveness, Harry, not Barack Obama.

Of course Obama "forgives" Reid. It's really not forgiving so much as not having a problem with that sort of condescending sentiment. Wasn't it BO who garden partied:
"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

I will say this, I don't think Harry Reid looks down on black men any more than Obama looks down upon the hoi polloi in general. Isn't the crux of being a Liberal Elite the deep conviction that you're better than everyone else? Aren't HR and PBO birds of a feather here?

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg