Thursday, October 28, 2010

Put Down the Glass of Milk First


Hahahahahahahahaha:

ARLINGTON, Va., Oct. 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has warned National Public Radio (NPR) that a remark made by NPR’s CEO in the firing of senior correspondent Juan Williams may violate the letter or spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)....

...After firing Williams for talking about Muslims during a Fox TV News program, Schiller told news media that Williams’ personal feelings should have been kept between himself and his “psychiatrist or publicist — take your pick.” Williams responded that he did not have a psychiatrist.

Schiller later apologized for the “thoughtless remark,” but NAMI called it an “outrageous” statement.

It reminds me of something I read many years ago (I think in the WSJ) about this nice couple that had worked in the EPA for many years. I think he was an environmental lawyer; she worked with endangered species or something.

Anyway, they were getting ready to retire and had invested in a beautiful bit of land where they hoped to live out their days sheltering abused llamas, or raising ostriches, or whatever sweet retired liberal types do on their rustic pretend farms. (which, by the way, I've got no quarrel with, more power to them)

Only problem was -- there was a spot on the land where a puddle might form after a stiff rain. So their dream cottage could never be built as it would adversely impact the "wetlands".

I think they had invested almost all their savings... something like $400,000, which, in those days was worth at least twice as much as $200,000. Yet the land was useless. They could visit it but not live on it.

For days I would remember the article and smile. How many people had they put in exactly the same position over the years? Maybe not directly, but as cogs in the EPA machine?

What is it about the PC crowd getting hoist by their own petard? Maybe the Schadenfreude comes from having to live our lives always a little bit on guard, always having to censor ourselves lest we offend. Or not so much guard against causing offense, but of crossing a line that some nit picking liberal will deem possibly offensive.

I have the urge to write NPR a deep-umbrage-o-gram explaining why I won't be donating again this year. (it must be decades since I gave them a penny) But this year I won't be donating because of that horrible horrible psychiatrist remark. And to emphasize my displeasure, I'll watch Wallander anyway. Taking goods I've not paid for, solely to teach them a lesson.

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg