Monday, November 07, 2011

A Murmuration of Starlings




I've seen this twice. Once, in Sitges Spain, before it was gay, not that there's anything wrong with that. And once on the Eastern Shore, not that there's anything wrong with that.

In Sitges the streets are very narrow and most buildings are several stories high, thus giving the birds many Kamikaze possibilities. They would zoom around corners and seemingly decide on the next direction on the fly (har) at the last possible moment. I'll never know why the ground wasn't littered with bodies like lobster shells around the Obama's dinner table.

The second time I saw this phenomenon was on Maryland's Eastern Shore with the lumberwife. The suckers had the entire sky to play in but one of their favorite lanes was right across the smallish back road we were traveling. Which was good because it gave us an excuse to sit and watch them for a quarter hour or so. As I said, this was the Eastern Shore so it was impossible to get out of the car without being carried off by mosquitoes. Still, it was a great show.

The music here is Pachelbel's Canon in D, which ok, so there's that, but I muted it because I was already listening to Bruckner which also worked well. Listen to my Pachelbel link if you're interested. If you're not interested, listen twice, and thank lumberkid, who I look to for musical inspiration.

h/t: presurfer (not that there's ... you know)

0 comments:

fighting101s.jpg