Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Darwin Thwarted

From the dailymail:

An American student whose heart stopped after he deliberately electrocuted himself in a science class is suing his teacher for not warning him it was dangerous.

Kyle Dubois, 18, is also taking legal action against the school district and the city of Dover in New Hampshire.

Dubois and his parents claim teacher Thomas Kelley did not tell him and other students of the dangers of the demonstration power cords in their electrical trades class.

They are seeking compensation for medical expenses, lost income due to time away from work and other damages related to the incident, which occurred on March 11.

Dubois attached an electrical clamp to one nipple while another student attached another clamp to the other. A third student plugged in the cord.

Dubois was critically injured and his legal team claim he has suffered permanent brain damage.

It sounds like the brain damage should fall under the heading "preexisting condition." It wouldn't hurt to have his two friends tested too. I mean, three of them, and not one of them thought that 115 volts across the chest would be a bad thing?

Oh, and the reason he did it: he was dared to, and offered a free Mountain Dew if he survived. Those Mountain Dews must be mighty tasty.